Thumbprints of the spouses are required to be on the marriage register, but we will take care of this on the day.
1. A Form Bl 32A is required if either of you is under the age of 21. (We will provide this form on the day)
2. A Form Bl 31 must be completed if either of you does not have an SA ID Document. (We will provide this form on the day)
3. If either of you is divorced, a clear copy of the final decree of divorce is required.
4. If either of you is a widower/widow, a clear copy of the death certificate is required.
5. Clear copies of both your ID Documents/Passports are required.
6. Clear copies of both witnesses ID Documents/Passports are required.
7. Three ID photos of yourself and your partner
8. In the case of ALL foreigners a Letter of No Impediment of a Letter of Statutory Declaration issued by your Home Office of the country of your origin is required. This must reach us at least 10 days prior to your Civil Union.
We require all this documentation at least one week BEFORE the date of your Civil Union. The law stipulates that we CANNOT proceed with your Civil Union until we have all of the above documentation.
Important Notice To All SA Citizens Marrying a Foreign National:
According to legislation ALL such couples marrying in South Africa MUST undergo an interview with an Immigration Officer in South Africa BEFORE the marriage takes place. Both prospective spouses must be interviewed. Only upon receipt of a declaration letter from the Immigration Officer can we go ahead with the marriage. Home Affairs will NOT register a marriage without the letter as well as ALL supporting documentation. No exceptions can be made. Since we operate in Ballito ALL interviews MUST be carried out at Durban Immigration office in Umgeni Road as we are required to collect the letter personally – they will not release it to you. Interviews are only carried out on Wednesdays without appointments. Couples are required to arrive on any Wednesday morning and sit and wait to be seen by an immigration officer. There is no need for an interview to be conducted where BOTH prospective spouses are foreign nationals or if you are BOTH in possession of a valid South African ID.